I haven't seen many recipes for baking that use straight fresh coconut, so I am creating new recipes. One of the first I made up, was these delicious fresh coconut pancakes. Topped with butter, pancake syrup, and toasted coconut these are a real treat.
This recipe uses the coconut juice (also known as coconut water) that you pour straight out of the coconut and shredded fresh coconut meat. I also toasted extra shredded coconut in the oven to sprinkle on top. If you wanted to make or double this recipe and don't have enough coconut juice, you can add regular milk just fine. I would imagine that you could also substitute coconut milk and dry coconut flakes but haven't tried it myself.
One thing you don't want to do, is to try to save the coconut water in the refrigerator for very long, like more than one day. It goes bad really fast once opened. Trust me, don't try it. It does however freeze fine to use later.
Homemade Fresh Coconut Pancake Recipe
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup fresh coconut water/ juice or milk
- 1 cup fresh shredded coconut (plus more toasted flakes for topping if desired)
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon if desired
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and stir until well combined.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of batter onto a hot greased griddle.
- Cook until underside is brown. Flip over, and cook until the other side is brown.
- Continue until all of the pancakes are cooked.