We also don't have any scrapbook paper and I didn't want to waste printer ink on this project, so I came up with a different way to make the decorative paper. This added another element that small kids can do easily as well.
Homemade Paper Heart Wreath
- First we decorated our paper. We stamped Valentine related stamps on one side and scribbled a lot of reds and pinks on the other.
- Then I cut the strips, about 2 inches by about 14 inches, and folded the strips in half. I folded half of the strips with the stamp side out and the other half with the scribble side out.
- I punched two sets of holes at the top and middle. Later I discovered I needed another set of holes at the bottom to stabilize the wreath.
- Then we strung them together. First we curled the top ends around so the outsides went in and touched each other forming a heart.
- Then starting at one side sew through the heart, looping it through both the middle holes to secure the top of the heart together, and then out the other side. Sew through all of the holes on one side of the heart this way and then go back through the other side. Then sew through the holes at the bottom of the heart.
- Tie ends of string together and make a loop to hang.